EHB with one of our prestigious partner Universities (Edge Hill University) were asked to host a cohort of students from the famous South Korean University CBNU. The students required English language training along with a life changing cultural experience in the United Kingdom and our capital city of London.
The students studied English language at Edge Hill University while also experiencing a rich cultural experience in the North West of England, Scotland and Wales including trips to Edinburgh, Liverpool Manchester, the Lake District and so much more! After three weeks they were hosted by us for a diverse and exciting week in London.
Prior to travelling to London, Jon and Ann met the students on campus in the North West to whet their appetite for the London week, to answer questions and to encourage them to search and plan in advance.
Students boarded an early coach at the North West campus and were accompanied by Ann to London, stopping off to view the city of Cambridge.
Following registration at the halls of residence in Marylebone Road (directly opposite Madame Tussauds in the heart of London) our guests received welcome packs and participated in an induction session led by Ann and Jon. The aim of the session was to provide key information about personal safety, accommodation and facilities, the immediate locality, the transport system and about London in general. Numerous questions about specific attractions, entertainment and places of interest were raised by individuals which suggests students had engaged with pre-planning.
The hearty welcome dinner was hosted in a typical British public house (The Globe, in Marylebone Road) which contrasted so well with the Sherlock Holmes Hotel chosen for the celebratory farewell meal.
Students were treated to a Big Bus tour and a boat ride on the river Thames. Both modes of transport served to combine an informative, enjoyable experience with a broad overview of the City. Continuing support and guidance was offered to individuals, small groups and pairs of students planning to explore specific places of interest, the arts and entertainment. Our aim was to tailor guest’s plans to help maximise their relatively short time in London. Jon, who has extensive knowledge of the City, having lived and worked there for many years, was able to provide rich sources of information outside of tourist guide materials.
Jon and Ann were available 24 hours a day and the introduction of an early evening ‘drop-in’ hour offered an additional contact point on daily basis. Our guests were encouraged to sign in each night allowing us to monitor their safe return.
Positive comments at evaluation proved that our guests thoroughly enjoyed their time with us in London as indicated in the verbatim extracts below:
- Very impressive and I will remember the memories in London I had. And I’d love to visit London again
- It was brilliant!
- London trip is very brilliant experience. I have been to London Eye, Big Ben, and Buckingham Palace and so many shops. I love London
- Very nice in London. I couldn’t forget this experience. I have seen the Big Ben, London Eye, Bridge, musical “Wicked” and gone to variable places. And had dinner with our guide Jon and Ann.
- It was absolutely middle of London. Very friendly staff, 24/7 security made us relieved and pleasant. Room was neat. Staff changed towels every day. I room for 1 person → brilliant
- It was very comfortable!
- Very good 🙂 I’ve satisfied with all of things. Clerks in accommodation are very kind and my room is very comfortable.
- Perfect / awesome
- Just 2 minutes from Baker St Station. Walking distance for Oxford street and parks
- Its location is good for me to go everywhere I would like to go
- Accommodations location is very good J many famous places such as Big Ben… is quite near…
Level of support
- Level of support, help and advice from ANN and JON is so good
- I want to tell Ann and Jon about your perfect help. Your advice was very useful and I thank you very much
- Ann and Jon give many advices and helpful information. They are very kind. I’m so happy that live together with them.
- The highest level of support, help, advice. They are very kind and careful of everything so we could look around all of places J Enjoyed most
- I went many places, The best place that I think is London Eye, In that place I found my perfect thing
- Everyday I’m very happy! Especially Big Bus Tour is so lovely
- The Big Ben. I’m happy because I enjoyed many famous sights in London. It was aa great experience
- Shopping in Bicester village and visiting meaningful places such as Buckingham Palace
- Thank you for giving me great experience
- Thank you. BrilliantJ”Change Ceremony” – best. I want to visit London one more someday.
- Thanks a lot. I had big great time for a week. I was touching your favour and support! I will miss you!
At the end of a memorable fun packed week in London the majority of students flew off to explore other European destinations in counties including Italy, France, Belgium, and Germany.